It's time to explore! Discover new interests and abilities, and have fun! Let your curiosity guide you while you experience career possibilities!
Join us for a fun filled opportunity to earn while you learn. This year’s Summer STEM Program will run June 4- June 29, Monday-Thursday. Students will have the opportunity to sign up for an additional 4 days of activities during the week of 7/2/18.
WHAT'S STEM TEC ALL ABOUT?
- Explore careers in Science, Technology, Engineering & Math
- Challenge yourself and your team at IFLY Indoor Skydiving!
- Improve teambuilding and leadership skills with "Dale Carnegie" workshop
- Learn about business planning and marketing
- Take behind the scene tours of a local company, visit a college campus
- Receive $400 upon completion
STEM TEC OVERVIEW
CareerSource Tampa Bay in partnership with Junior Achievement of Tampa Bay, Inc. and various other partners provides career exploration and workplace readiness training to local students between the ages of 14-17. Known as STEM TEC. The program consists of hands-on workplace readiness training, teambuilding, goal setting and personal motivation, in addition to employer site visits as job shadowing experiences in STEM specific fields.
WHERE & WHEN
June 4 - June 29, 2018 - Camp will run 4 days per week from Monday thru Thursday from 8am-3 pm. With the exception of Friday June 29th which will be the graduation ceremony location TBD. A 5th week of activities will be available on a first come first serve basis. Space is limited to 35 students at each site.
- Leto High School 4409 West Sligh Avenue, Tampa, FL 33614
- Aparicio-Levy Technical College 10119 East Ellicott Street, Tampa, FL 33610
- East Bay High School 7710 Old Big Bend Road, Gibsonton, FL 33534
- Junior Achievement Center 13707 N 22nd Street, Tampa 33613
SUMMER PROGRAM ACTIVITIES
Classroom activities include personal development, career assessment, career exploration, work readiness skills, entrepreneurship, computer technology and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) projects. The curriculum will include behind the scene tours to local business and educational centers.
Parents will be responsible for transportation to and from the camp. A limited amount of bus passes will be available to seated youth. On field trip days, transportation will be provided to and from campuses.
MEALS & REFRESHMENTS
Lunch will be provided daily. We recommend that students eat breakfast, and pack snacks and/or refreshments to eat during breaks. Students are not allowed to leave the campus for lunch.
Participants will be asked to wear the camp T-shirt, khaki pants, skirt, or Capri pants along with sneakers or closed toed shoes. Two (2) shirts will be provided to each student. Flip flops, slides and midriffs are prohibited.
On successful completion of the four week program (in good standing) he/she will receive a $400 incentive. Students participating in the activities during the week of 7/2 will receive an additional $100 upon completion.
Students are eligible to apply based on meeting the following requirements.
- Must live in Hillsborough County
- Student must be 14-17 years old
- Student must be currently enrolled in school with a GPA of 2.50 or higher
- Student must live in a family or household that meets at least one or more of the following criteria’s below:
- Resides in a “low-income” family, see chart below.
- Currently lives in a foster care home/facility or living with a care giver/guardian and the student receives cash assistance
- Lives with Family receiving food stamps and/or cash assistance benefits
- Eligible for Free & Reduced Lunch
LLSIL Chart Effective Date: May 30, 2018
|Family Size||70% LLSIL 2018|
|Additionals||$5,228 per person|
|**NOTE: Federal guidance indicates that low income is "the Poverty Level or 70% of the LLSIL", whichever is higher.|
HOW TO APPLY
Click here to download the application.
To determine student’s suitability please provide the following documents with your completed application:
- STEMTEC Application forms completed and signed by student and a parent/legal guardian (see attachments)
- Proof that the student has been determined eligible for Free and Reduced Lunch
- Proof of receipt of Food Stamps or Cash Assistance, for family or just for student, if applicable
- Copy of student’s current report card or print out
- Copy of student’s birth certificate & social security card
- Copy of student’s ID card - school and/or Parent/Guardian ID
To determine the family’s financial eligibility, please provide the following:
- Proof of any type of family member’s earned income: recent paystubs, self employment docs, if applicable
- Proof of child support, if applicable
- Proof of any type of Social Security Benefits, if applicable
- Proof of unemployment Benefits, if applicable, if applicable
- Legal proof of guardianship, if student does not live with parents
- Copy of Alien Registration Card (both sides) if student is not a US citizen
Submit your completed application and provide required documentation on or before May 31st. Below are the options for submitting your STEM TEC application.
- Documents can be mailed or dropped off at 13707 N 22nd Street Tampa Florida 33613, Attention: STEM TEC
- Fax documents to 813-304-2668, Attn: Maggie Haley
- Scan and email to email@example.com